Omega is the largest mixed-use development site in the North West of England.
With immediate access to the region’s motorway network from Junction 8 of the M62, midway between Manchester and Liverpool, it’s unrivalled location has already proved attractive to a host of big name operators. However, Omega is not just about B2 and B8 uses. The scheme benefits from an outline planning consent which will deliver up to 1.4m sqft of high quality offices, production and distribution warehousing over the coming years. Work has commenced on 1,100 new homes, and opportunities for convenience retail and leisure facilities are also available. The development as a whole will be set within a network of vibrant landscaped, woodland, parkland and wildlife areas, including a 35 acre ‘Green Heart’ at its core, providing high quality amenity space for all. To date the development has attracted £180+ million private investment for construction of site infrastructure, buildings and fit-outs, and created or safeguarded over 7,000 jobs.
EPCA in partnership with Doig+Smith, act as the CDM Principal Designers for the Big Shed projects at Omega. Typical project challenges include:
- bulk earthworks to form development platforms;
- land remediation including asbestos in soils and contamination;
- provision of SUDS swales, ponds, drainage, etc;
- provision of utilities connections including utility sub-stations;
- construction of large warehouse buildings including offices and outbuildings;
- all associated site works;
- interfaces with other ongoing adjacent CDM projects for example infrastructure upgrade projects, upgrade project to Junction 8 of the M62, and construction of a new school;
- environmental challenges including protection of bats, newts and protected plant species.
Details of our projects to date are set out below.